Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Greenway Part 2 titled Three

I sit here every night and look out the window at all the chaos humanity has turned into. Forever is a long forgotten word and the only real evidence I have of yesterday's existence is a single picture my now dead parents took of me when I was born. It shows the three of us together. They are smiling in it and I don't know why. Perhaps because they didn't know they were going to be dead soon.

I can't complain though. I have six in my life and that's more than most people have. I know he isn't my dad, but I like to think of him as a brother. He always looks like he's about to kill someone. I know he stands guard over me to keep us alive.

I saw them coming from a distance. Trackers...they are searching for more girls for the Greenway. It sucks being a girl here in this time and place. Shock rang through my body when they shined a light on Six.

'Oh no, they've found out who we are and where we are.'

I yelled down to Six and he said to hide. I can't do that though. I won't. I'm tired of living in the hell hole and of having to deal with the Trackers and all the terrible things the Greenway stands for. I've heard the same rumors as Six, even though he tried to keep them from me.

There is a mark on my neck. It's something I was born with. Some of the rumors say the Moor is looking for me. The girl with the mark. I don't get it. I don't know why things can't just return to an easier time. My neck began to hurt. A small glow from the mark began to shine in the darkness of the night. I don't know why, all I can think about is Six. My brother...my protector and keeper. Yes, not in blood I know. Still he is all of this to me. Father. Mother. Sister. Brother. Six is all the family I have.

The shots were loud. Six made it up the stairs and grabbed my hand. "To the roof. You remember what I showed you a few weeks ago when the rumors started churning about the mark? Let's go," Six said.

I looked back at the window I stared out of every night. How I wished I hadn't thought of leaving. we made our way to the roof. A large spot light shined on us from below. A giant net gun was shot in our direction. Six pulled me to the ground just as the net went over our heads. We raced to the camouflaged passageway from the roof. I believe it was an elevator shaft at one point. Who knows. I do know the ropes he had placed there remained. Six tossed me a back pack full of things from my room.

I looked up and him and smiled. It was a hesitant grin. My whole belief in man kind restored with a single act from Six. My own dear sweet Six who protected me even from myself.

I heard them approach. I could hear the Trackers loading their guns. A distinct click on the other side of the wall. If they knew where we were, they would have forced their way through the wall. Dust tumbled down from above.

I was being hunted. How were we to escape the madness of the Trackers?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More