Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Heartbeat~~Samuel~~

Magical rays of sunlight penetrated the cloud covered sky on the day I met your father, Samuel.  I was standing in the middle of a field with my camera taking shots of the most stunning sky I had ever seen. The rays of light glittered with a life of its own that was both haunting and beautiful at the same time. I was sure if I stepped into it I would be carried away to another world.
Like the gentle sun and just as surreal, he floated down through the light. I watched him transform from ethereal to solid and was overwhelmed by it. Sure it was all a hallucination and I was losing my mind, I passed out. Moments later I knew I heard my name.

"Elizabeth," he said. His voice sounded like a whispered breeze.

Let me stay. Don't wake me up. I love the dream I'm in. An illusion with grace and all that I had secretly  longed for held me in his arms called my name. How was that even possible?

Afraid to open my eyes and see it was nothing more than a dream, I laid there while he said my name again.

"Elizabeth."

I was caught off guard by his beauty when I opened my eyes, His skin so pale, shimmered like a million tiny wet pearls dancing in the mid day sun. Eyes so deep and green they matched the forest. I saw myself in them and our future together. I couldn't help it. He helped me up. For a moment I felt my embarrassment over my simple human reaction to witnessing an angel float down from the sky.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

I held an unconscious breath while I waited for an answer. He stayed quiet for a moment. His face filled with hesitation.

"I was walking across the field and saw you pass out. Are you ok?" he asked.

"No, I saw you...you know my name," I said.

At this point I knew I sounded like a blathering idiot so I stopped talking. What if it was all in my head? The sky was beautiful and I was feeling a little light headed. Behind every logical explanation I gave myself was a tiny irritating mosquito buzzing around. It bit me with a single thought when it landed in my brain.

'I know what I saw.'

Oh how I hate those small itchy bites. They constantly nag and never go gently into the night. They fester, like all the other annoyances and doubts in my life. Still there was nothing I could say to make him tell me the truth. So I just smiled.

"I'm Elizabeth," I said,  reaching my hand out towards his.

'But then you knew that.'

When he took my hand, I felt my lungs fill with a quick breath. His hand was so warm to the touch it almost burned. I knew in that single second I would never want to let him go. What an odd feeling that was for me.

"I'm Samuel. Good to meet you," he said.

My dear sweet Irulan, if I could explain the feelings of love at first sight and how it works, I would. All I can tell you is my heart melted the second I met Samuel. I remember getting angry with myself for thinking about him all the time. I mean really, I was never the kind of woman who loved someone the moment I laid eyes on him. I always had a wall and who ever it was I dated never seemed able to get past it.

My heart raced, pounding so hard against my chest I was sure he could hear it. Oh dear god the humiliation of it all. I felt my cheeks tingle with a blush and I couldn't help but smile even more.

He walked me to my car. Had I paid attention, I would have realized he didn't have one. I was so busy trying to figure out what to say next, that nothing about my surroundings dawned on me.

Irulan, if you only knew how little I believed in miracles and superstitions then you would understand why I had a hard time wrapping my head around how I met your father. He was an angel sent from above to make sure you were born. I don't know why I was chosen to be your mom. I just know he loved me too. So much so it made it impossible for us to be apart.

There's so much more and I promise to tell you. Just rest assured your father loves the both of us.

3 comments:

ShadedLady said...

This is the first time I've seen this new page.... been off-line for weeks. I just had to tell you.....IT'S BEAUTIFUL!! Great job, Joann! Give me a chance to catch up on my reading, & I'll be back to post again :-))

Joann H. Buchanan said...

Thank you sooo much!! I'm glad you like it...huge hugs

C. D. Bennett said...

This series of short tales of yours is really, really good. Very well told. I'm diggin' it :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More