Sunday, February 6, 2011

Heart Beat~~Evil Surrounds~~

Like the morning sun, your eyes shined with a deep glowing love  for life. Just looking at your perfect face and little hands filled me with such a protective force, I didn't want the nurse taking you for the normal tests. How could you have normal tests? There wasn't another child like you on the entire planet.  Samuel went with you. What if you were never returned to me?

 Just the thought of losing the two of you caused a deep ache to penetrate my body and I, oh how I cried. What should have been a moment full of joy fill me with more fear  than I had ever known.

Samuel walked in with you coddled in his arms and then placed you in mine. He leaned in and kissed me on the forehead and still I cried. You slept while my tears dropped on your little blanket.

"They can't have you," I whispered when I kissed you on your small rosy cheeks.

Then he did what he always did when I cried.  He kissed the tears on my cheek and whispered, "Shh, it will all be ok."

I looked up at him and smiled. What more could I do than that? The warning from the other angel flashed through my mind.

"We will come for her when the time is right."

"They can't have her," I said.

"I won't let them take her from us. I swear it on my life," he said.

The lights in the room dimmed. A swarm of black flies swirled around us. I covered you with the blanket on the bed to protect you. Samuel put his right arm towards the ground and a sword made of lightening stretched from his arm. He stood in front of our bed and raised it into the air.

"Adrianna, why have you come?" Samuel asked.

The flies swarmed closer together until they were so tight they formed the shape of a woman. Small patches of skin melted up from within her. She had a long, simple elegant black dress. Her eyes, shaped like a cat's in a deep red color were pale against her fire colored hair.

"I just want to see the little one for myself. I'm here to give her a blessing," she buzzed with millions of voices.

Almost floating, she took a step towards us and Samuel lifted his sword to her neck.

"Step back. There will be no blessing from you, Adrianna," he said.

The room grew cold fast. Icicles formed on the ceiling above the two of us. They sounded like wind chimes on a flower filled spring day.

"Don't," Samuel's voice was stern and full of force.

"Do you really not want my blessing?" she asked.

"A blessing from you would be a curse. You know I won't allow it," he said.

The bed we were in began to shake. Icicles formed over our head and I hid you beneath the blanket as if it would protect you like some sort of magical shield. I felt my face redden with anger. What was this thing in our room? Why did she think it was necessary to invade what little precious time we had with you?

The icicles that shook over our heads sounded like wind chimes. It was such a sweet,  evil,  alluring sound that clutched the strings in my heart and wouldn't let go. I was frozen in time, mesmerized by the shear sight of it all.

This was not an angel before me. A single word came to mind, DEMON. The evil thing wanted not just bless you, she wanted to anoint you with a drop of evil. Strange as that sounded, you were born a blank slate. You had a soul and you still had a choice.
Samuel held his right arm to his side. A bolt of lightening stretched out from his hand and formed into a sword. He stepped in front of our bed, placing himself between us and her. I watched in horror as she stepped towards him.

Can an angel be killed?

"Relax, I'm leaving. You can't always protect them you know," Adrianna said. "Oh, and by the way. I thought you should know the big man is watching."

"I know," Samuel said.

The body of the creature melted away allowing the flies to swarm again. I waved my hands over you, trying to make sure none of them landed on you. Our nurse opened the door, and all of the flies disappeared in a flash of light. I looked up at the ceiling to see if the icicles were still there. Gone. Nothing. Like she had never been there.

"We've been having issues with the lights today. Maintenance is working on it. I'm sorry if it has caused you any inconvenience or given you a fright," she said.

I looked at Samuel and laughed.

"We're fine," I said.

I opened the blanket I hid you under and saw that you were still sleeping. You had not been bothered by the evil that entered the room. You were not afraid. How I wished I could be once again ignorant to the true evil of the world. We are surrounded by it everyday and we don't see it. We are immune to the shadows that dwell on the souls of others. That or we are so used to it that it doesn't phase us. I don't know. What I do know is the fear I felt during Adrianna's visit was just a taste of what was to come.

It was then that I knew you were born to a destiny I would never understand. I knew you were created for a reason. The only thing I knew was I had to protect you from all the evil of this world and another. I didn't know if I was strong enough to go against the forces of evil, but I knew I was your mom and everything in my soul said you needed me. Though I'm nothing but a simple mortal, I would prove to be more of an annoyance to the powers that surrounded us than they anticipated.

Still my sweet little Irulan, there is so much more to tell you. So many things you need to know so you can maybe one day understand why we did what we did. It was the only way to save you.  I just wanted you to know how important you to understand how much we loved you.

4 comments:

ShadedLady said...

Nice work, Joann!! Keep writing the story....

Joann H. Buchanan said...

thank you sooo much! I'm glad you like it.

Unknown said...

Omg. Omg. Beautiful. I love the name Irulan, and I love the story! Keep writing Joann, so glad I found you....

Joann H. Buchanan said...

Thank you sooo much! I'm glad you like it. I'm working on the next chapter now. huge hugs and thank you again!!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More